CS-80 Kenton Midi Retrofit

Back in 2007, shortly after I picked up my Yamaha CS-80 I was looking for MIDI options and was glad to see that Kenton still sells the Midi Retrofit Kit, which I ordered instantly. After I received the package, I was surprised about the size of the PCB, it's pretty huge (scale is metric):

Yamaha CS-80 Kenton Midi Retrofit
CS-80 Midi Retrofit PCB

Kit Parts

What I like about this retrofit is, it is not just a simple retrofit, it offers some useful features like controlling the cutoff, sending program changes and of course also supporting poly aftertouch. Apparently, those features also mean a lot of cables which need to be soldered at different places all over the CS-80.

Yamaha CS-80 Kenton Midi Retrofit Kit Parts
Kenton CS-80 Retrofit Kit Parts

The Installation

Unfortunately I have not taken many pictures back then, nor can I remember many details about the installation, so I'm unable to get into deep details about the process.

My friend MiK did the installation back in 2007 and I cannot remember any tantrums, so I think it went pretty straight forward. The only thing we did different from the instruction was not to drill any holes into the CS-80 (Kenton, instructing to drill holes into a CS-80, seriously? ;-) ).

Midi Jacks

As I didn't want any holes drilled into the case for the MIDI jacks, some kind of a breakout cable has been installed which leaves the case untouched. The power cord tray turned out to be the perfect place.

Power cord tray
Midi Jack Breakout cable

Push Button / Switch

In addition with the Retrofit comes a little plate with a switch and a push button. The installation manual instructs to drill two holes in the front left-hand corner for installing the plate. Again, as drilling holes into the front case was out of question a better place had to be found. We aimed for the headphone jack. The plate provides enough space and drilling holes into the phone plate won't "uglify" the CS-80.

Choosing a destination
Switch and button installed on the headphone plate
Final result
Push button and switch sticking out of the case bottom
It works pretty well. However, the switch and the button will stick out a little. As I don't luggage the CS-80 around (except for the one time when I moved places), and as the case has a slope going up at front it is kind of safe there (if I don't do anything stupid by accident).

A few assorted Pictures

MiK during Installation
Don't ask about the beer bottle, it is part of a running gag.
Some may call it a risky one. ;-)
Kenton Midi Interface with ribbon cables going into every direction
Patch selector ribbon cable
Just Another Interface Picture

KAS Board
CS-80 Kenton Midi Retrofit CS-80 Kenton Midi Retrofit Reviewed by MFox on 5:16 PM Rating: 5
Powered by Blogger.